Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

I'm Dreaming of a "Different" Christmas

Yep, it is that time.  We really need to start thinking about Christmas and start planning.  You totally know that things will be different this year.
Family gatherings may or may not happen, products may be in short supply, money may be less, things are just going to be different.

I am a 'different' kind of gift giver any way.  I am not big on traditional stuff.  Very seldom do I buy things for other people.  Young folks are picky - so if I pick out something, odds are it won't be cool enough.  Many people are just plain hard to buy for - I mean they have everything.  So my gifts tend to be something that everyone needs and likes - FOOD!

Now that gardens are coming on and people have started canning - it is time to think of some fun things to put up that would work as gifts.  Get those recipe files dusted off - and go through them and come up with some fun ideas.

I use re-usable grocery bags, baskets from the orchard, ice cream buckets, cups, small tins.....you name it.  I love packaging things up in my own way - it seems more personal.

Yesterday I posted the recipe to can sweet and sour sauce - that would make a fun and different item for your gifts 'baskets'.  I will be posting other recipes over the next few weeks.
Think about some of the following:

Jellies and jams
Salsa or pasta/pizza sauces
Dry jar soup recipes  (recipes will come later)
Seasoning mixes
Homemade cookies, candy, sweet breads, scones, muffins, brownies, etc.
Homemade bread - wrap in a pretty kitchen towel
There are just so many options.

My brother gives my sister and I  a gift bag of all kinds of home canned goodies each year.  We get green beans, tomato juice, salsa, pickles, relish, beets, sweet potatoes .......you name it.  Such a wonderful gift!  So healthy and fresh tasting - no additives.

I try to gift things that I have made or canned and then add some store bought things that the recipient may not always buy for themselves (yet like).  Just this week I got tinned pink salmon for brother and sisters baskets this year.  They both love salmon patties - but don't buy it often, as it costs TOO much in their opinion!  I got Goya ham seasoning - which they love.  Got some parchment paper cupcake liners for a niece who loves to bake.  I have purchased specialty olives before.  Favorite candy bars or special snack food.
I add different rice's and pastas as well.
I like to add all kinds of different things as well as homemade.
Just pay ATTENTION to the likes of various people and surprise them with their favorites.
*I have a teenage nephew who LOVES Cheese-its - he always gets several boxes in different flavors.  His sister loves dill pickles of every type - she gets them all for herself!
Sometimes you just need to get creative!!

Rules:
First rule is there aren't any rules.  Do what you want. Have FUN!
 
You can get gift cards for folks who are staying home and shopping online for groceries.  This will help them get some extras.  Grocery gift cards are great for anyone!  I love getting them

THIS year is different - buy or make some things that are always in need. 
Make hand sanitizer and gift in cute bottles or in a mason jar
Make face masks
Liquid soap in pretty bottles
Not so crazy - TP and Kleenex
Antiseptic wipes

Think about family games.  Puzzles.  Books. 
A CD of a movie classic and make up a movie basket - candy, popcorn, snacks

If you know someone who cans or gardens - look for lids, jars, pectin, seasoning packets, garden seeds, flower seed, gloves, fertilizer, etc.

Make some holiday decorations and craft items.  They will become keepsakes.

Get those brains in gear!!!!  Make a very 'different' Christmas/holiday season.  Don't worry about what restrictions that there may be (no need to borrow worry) - use this time to think about gifting fun and different things.
I enjoy making gifts and putting together baskets.  My family always enjoy them.  We all have to eat - so it is fun getting groceries that are something we may not buy!

Have fun and start dreaming of and working towards a very different Christmas!
It's just 4 months away!!!!!!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar